Black & white photos are from the movie The Innocents (1961, 20th Century Fox), based on The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.
I’ve discovered a ripping fun new playground!
“The major part of the contents of The Ladder comprise electronic ‘editions’ of a selection of Henry James’s works. You can think of these as online versions of the modern paperback editions of literary classics – as well as the text, carefully edited from a single source, there are :
- textual notes on the source and any amendments required during editing
- annotations of the text explaining such things as:
- o references to real persons and places
- o references to other fiction by James or by earlier writers
- o translations of foreign phrases
- o the editor’s comments on occasional points of interest
- a summary and a detailed (chapter by chapter) synopsis of the plot, so you can easily find passages you remember, by what happens
- a brief introduction, suggesting a possible reading or just a good reason to read
- a bibliography including original publications, subsequent reprints”